Monday, November 19, 2007

The Skeptics Are Wrong About Derren Brown

Here is an interesting discussion of Derren Brown's subliminal suggestion techniques by a group of skeptics.

Members of the discussion suggest that DB's psychological explanations of his trips are completely bogus, just a part of the act. They go so far as to suggest that his book, "Tricks of the Mind," is also part of the act -- designed to dupe the public into believing his acts involve psychological phenomenon.

A few posts ago I considered the idea that the psychological aspect of DB's act was simply misdirection. In some of his tricks it might be.

But given my recent experimentation with subliminal suggestion, I know for a fact that it can work. Whether or not DB relies on it in his act is impossible for me to say. (By the way, I am going to try subliminal suggestion on another friend tomorrow night; so I should have more to report on that front soon.)

The skeptics might be partly correct, but based on my experience I have to believe that at least some of the time Derren Brown's mental illusions work just the way he says they do.

No comments: